Sunday, January 25, 2015

Everything is Moving Just a Little Too Slowly

We are deep into remodeling and I am more than a little over it.  On the one hand the allure and romance of sleeping in the living room and not knowing where my pants are is starting to fade a bit.  On the other hand, I used a table saw for the first time yesterday. RAWR.  Other power tools I've wielded this weekend include a drill and an electric sander.  

The real hero of this story is Carl though. He's busted his tuchus all week long to get us this far.

This was taken on Friday.  Since then we've completely
finished laying the floor and cleared away most of the mess.
We're so close to done I can taste it.  And far enough away that I'm pretty sure that there will be boots in my bathtub forever.  (Actual boots in my actual bathtub -- that's not a euphemism for anything.  I ran out of places to stow stuff out of my closet.)

On the knitting front, I've been uncharacteristically monogamous (if by monogamous you mean "loyal to the same three or so projects, with a brief first date with a fourth" ... and I do.)  I finished up my Beer and The Voice socks earlier this week; I talk about them here.  Once they were done, I got my second Toe Up Gusset on the Bum Thingamer sock on the needles, and I'm about halfway up the foot.

I'm also so close to finishing my Denver Cowl that you can expect an FO post on it any day now.  I spent a fair number of hours today un-knitting and re-knitting part of the cowl.  I may or may not have uttered several unladylike phrases during this process.  I'd buggered up the (very simple) stitch pattern somehow and ended up needing to tink back 6 full rows of 260 stitches.   

It's all sorted now, but if I hadn't done whatever the frack it was I did, I would be reporting an FO tonight, instead of vague promises of "soon".

Progress is being Made... Slowly
Anyway, the end is in sight on any number of projects around here, but none of it is happening quite fast enough to suit me.   Why can't I knit faster while simultaneously sanding hardwood?  That's what I want to know.

Oh, I also cast on a pair of vanilla socks for Carl.  I don't really plan to work on them until my toe-up pair are done, but since the hard part of any sock (for me at least) is starting the damn thing, I figured this will set me up for purse knitting in February.  I cast on 84 stitches (which seems like a lot, but I'm a tight knitter.  I took actual measurements and did actual math... and I'm not afraid to rip it back if it's too many.  It's only knitting.)

I admit it, I don't gauge swatch for socks.
In unrelated, acquisition news, I picked up a package of "Edu-Tiles Play Mats" from Amazon to use for blocking.  I've been wanting some for a while now, so I'm excited to get them out and use them (that'll have to wait until my house is a little less rife with sawdust, I'm afraid.)   I also picked up some Brittany cable needles but I didn't get a picture of them.  

Delightful child not included.
So that's my week in a nutshell.  Last week I said I'd be talking about February is For Finishing today, but I think I'll hold off on that post until next Saturday, the 31st.  I prematurely made some February goals in my on-line knitting community and I've accidentally already completed two and a half of them.  My project list is a bit of a moving target right now.

No comments: