Monday, February 09, 2015

A Wiser Knitter

It's been a kind of a weird week here at chez woolly.  We are mostly back in our bedroom -- in fact I made it a point to get the boots out of the bathtub yesterday. (Still not a euphemism).

The light isn't great, but take my word for it,
that's one handsome floor.
My February is for Finishing is moving along, but I'm at the place where you can't see it.  This is what I get for finishing three projects in the last week of January.   The Mullspice hat was a doggle.  Everything else is going to be a bit of a slog.

I've been working on my best Jess' BFF Cowl.  Shown modeled here with the only thing that makes "purl 5 together" seem like a good idea.

TGIF, y'all
It was barely begun when February started, so it is going to be a while yet before we start seeing real progress.

I've also picked Rowan's sweater back up.  Now, I really did understand that when I agreed to knit a sweater for a 13 year old boy that I was risking a lot.  I mean, I get it. He could be fickle, he could wipe chocolate sauce all over it, he could leave it on his bedroom floor and affix a wad of gum to it.

Anything can happen when you're 13.

Like, you could grow for example.

Yeah.  That happened.
So, yesterday afternoon I pulled back more sweater than I care to admit to.

This is an example of anti-progress.
That was an unfortunate happenstance.  A wiser knitter would have tried it on the child before knitting the bulk of the body of the sweater.  A wiser knitter would have chosen a larger size for the sweater in the first place.   A wiser knitter would have married a tiny man, and borne tiny offspring.

Alas, I am not that knitter.

I am, however, a knitter who has properly em-biggened the sweater by adding several more increases before separating for the sleeves.  I've re-separated them and knit about another inch beyond that of straight body.

And yes, he's already tried it on.

It fits.

This week.

No comments: