Thursday, January 31, 2008

Screw Your Courage to the Sticking Point

Right, so tomorrow is February 1. Time to gird your loins, screw your courage to the sticking point and start counting.

Here's what I currently have on needles (in no particular order):
  1. The Cambridge Jacket (the Man Sweater) by Ann Budd
  2. Anniversary Socks (1 of 2) from Interweave's Favorite Socks
  3. French Child's Sock (1 of 2) from Knitting Vintage Socks
  4. Green Thing (its a gift, and must therefore be referred to "vaguely")
  5. Mystic Waters Stole
  6. Mystery Stole 3
  7. Ab-Fab Afghan
  8. Blue Kerry Shawl from Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls
  9. Peach Scarf
  10. Flamin' Fingerless Gloves
  11. Eyelet Socks (1 of 2 complete)
  12. Gryffindor Scarf
Twelve...well, that ain't a great number, but remember the first year I did this? Glossing over the fact that not one, but two of the above items graced that list as well, let's concentrate on the fact that 2 years ago I opened with 19 objects on needles.

Okay, I hear what you are saying. You are saying, Kade, if you have two things that were UFOs in 2006, and you still haven't finished them, isn't it about time to frog? And I answer... no. One's the Ab-Fab kit (Colinette yarn, all the way, baayyy-bee) and the other is a "shawl" that I'm knitting out of worsted weight acrylic—in other words, its also an afghan. I'm not ready to work on them, but dudes, I'm not giving them up either.

So. 12.

I'm totally frogging the Mystery Stole. Frankly, I like the yarn much better than I like the pattern. So, out it goes. That makes 11.

Gryffindor scarf. Its ugly, clunky, itchy, and... well, its Gryffindor. (No offense to the Gryffindorian amongst you. I mean no disrepect, but these are the people who's idea of a clever plan is "Everybody on Three!"*) So, there's 10.

I'm playing with the Alternate rules of "March is For Making Mates." That said, I have three pairs of socks and one pair of fingerless gloves on needles. The Eyelet socks are of my own design, and I have one completely finished (the other not yet cast on). This one is set aside until March. I'm working on the first of the pair of two different Nancy Bush patterns. I'll be finishing up both of these and then setting them aside. I've got the thumb to do on the first of two fingerless gloves, and then again, setting aside for March.

The Green Thing will probably only take an afternoon to finish.

I can't find the other skein of yarn I need for the peach scarf, so I haven't a clue what I'm doing about that. Maybe looking for the yarn. That would be radical.

Anyway, I won't be entering March with a clean knitterly slate, but I'll be enough closer to feel totally vindicated in casting on scads of new stuff.

*With all due respect to Cassie Claire's Fanon Draco

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can see my lovely little list here.

I had a great time at the party. Hope to see you again soon!

Unknown said...

My loins are girded and my courage is screwed. In fact, I'll screw up some extra courage for my knitting compatriots. *g*