Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Flower Basket Shawl

For my first major accomplishment of 2006, I knit "grown up lace"—Evelyn A. Clark's Flower Basket Shawl, initially published in Interweave Knit's Fall 2004 issue.

Image hosting by Photobucket

(For those keeping score, I also really want to knit the sweater on the front cover).

The shawl was knit from Knitpicks' Shadow in Campfire. It's a 100% merino wool laceweight yarn at an insanely affordable price. Something like $2.39 per 440 yard hank. I am absolutely in love with this yarn. On size 7 needles, it knit up into a gorgeous fabric that blocked like a dream. Oh yeah baby, will I knit more shawls outta this stuff. (I already have Oregon Coast lined up for the MS2, and have four skeins of Vineyard for I dunno know what yet.)

Now, on to the pictures!


Image hosting by Photobucket

Why this lace pattern is called "Flowerbasket" is beyond me. Looks more leafy-like, ya know?


Image hosting by Photobucket
I call this shot "Shawl with Obligatory Cat"

Project Specs

  • Pattern: Flower Basket Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark. Published in IK F'04
  • Yarn: Knitpicks' Shadow "Campfire" 100% Merino Laceweight one 440 yd. hank
  • Needles: Addi Turbo size 7 24" circulars
  • Date begun: December 28, 2005
  • Date finished: January 7, 2006
  • Total cost for materials: $2.39
Go Me!

3 comments:

Kara said...

I'm working on the Flower Basket Shawl also and don't get the name. It looks like leaves to me. I thought maybe when I blocked it some magic would happen. I doubled the dye your own lace weight from knitpicks. Mine looks like it won't be as big as yours . Does it grow a lot when you block it?

Kara said...

Yes, you got the right Kara. I was trying to count the repeats you did in the picture. I thought it looked like more than seven. Did that make the edging any harder to do?

H. R. Duby said...

Oooooh, pretty! Gonna model it in March? Huh, huh?