Thursday, February 01, 2018

February is for Finishing Project List 2018

It's February, and here at chez woolly February means Finishing.   We've been trotting out our works in progress, cataloging them, and either frogging, flinging, or finishing them during this fine alliterative month since 2006.   You'll pleased to know that nothing on this year's project list first made an appearance on that initial offering

Point of fact, much like last year, this year's list is comprised of almost entirely new projects.  The only exception (the repeat offender, if you will) is my UFO sock blanket, and I'm only listing that out of a sense of completeness.  It doesn't properly count, but it's not done, so there you go.

In any case, here's this year's list, in order from oldest to newest.  (Links go to my Ravelry project page.)

1.  Hogwarts Studies Blanket, cast on May 16, 2016.  This friend has no specific end date in mind.  I'm knitting each square to turn in to the Hogwarts Knit and Crochet House Cup (hence "Hogwarts Studies blanket").  I'm about 20% done, based on a 12x18 square lap blanket, but I reserve the right to keep going when I get there if that doesn't feel big enough.   In terms of my over all projects-on-the-go numbers, I'm thinking of each square as a mini-project.  If there are no live stitches in this sucker, it doesn't count.  (Yes, that is a rationalization. No, I don't care.  My WIP-pile, my rules.)



2. Frisson, cast on June 23, 2017.   This is an assymetrical shawl, similar to the Hitchhiker.  I started it for the Colors of Fall knitalong (a KAL that is honored more in the breach than in the observance in these parts.  I'm better at casting on for this KAL than I am at finishing it in a timely manner).  I'm most of the way done, and plan to finish it this February.


3.  Caramel, cast on August 2, 2017.   I was inspired to make this sweater by my good friend Cris.  It's a top-down raglan, designed by Isabell Kraemer, knit out of Miss Babs Yowz on US 6 needles.  I'm mostly working on it during break months.  Note to self:  If you are active in the House Cup, any sweater not knit for points is likely to be neglected.  It looks a bit like a great lump right now, as I haven't quite split for the sleeves. I think it's going to be lovely, if I'd just get on with it.


4. ROYGBV, cast on August 5, 2017.  I'm winging the pattern on these toe-up socks.  My intention is to knit a full rainbow for each sock, which means I'm moving into high-calf/knee high territory.  Happily, toe-up means "try it on as you go" so I can add stitches here and there as I need to.  Maybe I should write down what I'm doing so the second sock is something like the first... hmm..  The yarn is Wandering Wool North Country Sock in the aptly named "Rainbow" colorway.


5. Charms OWL: Torquata, cast on January 1, 2018.   I've had Torquata in my queue or a couple of years -- in fact I bought the kit for it at SSK in 2016 (it's Miss Babs Yummy 2-ply).  I'm knitting it as my Charms OWL for the House Cup, so it's due by March 31.  I don't anticipate finishing it in February, but it's going to get a chunk of my attention for sure, so that I'm on track to finish in March.


6. Big Magic, cast on January 1, 2018.   This Desert Vista Dyeworks yarn was inspired by the book cover for Elizabeth Gilbert's "Big Magic."  I'm knitting these socks with the intention of fostering and nurturing my creativity.   They are also a test knit for a friend who's invented a very cool new way to knit a heel.  I'm looking forward to finishing these.  (Also check out that Erin Lane bag -- I love a good project to project bag match, and this one is so good it's almost spooky).


7.  Dappled Sunlight, cast on January 21, 2018.  This will be my Order Mission for the House Cup (Order Missions are 6-8 weeks of anticipated work), so like Torquata, I'll be working on this in February, but won't necessarily finish it.  I'm not fussed one way or the other, so long as it's done by mid-March in time to get my points.   I'm knitting it out of Cloudborn Fibers Highland Fingering.  It's a Craftsy exclusive yarn, and I pretty much love it.  It's very smooshy, and lovely.



So there you have it!  Seven things (six if you don't count the one that doesn't count).  One I've targeted to finish for sure (Frisson), and the rest we'll just see.  I anticipate finishing Big Magic too, and who knows, maybe I'll get Dappled Sunlight done early. 

I mentioned a few posts ago that my knitting has changed enough that February is for Finishing is very different for me now than it used to be.  It's been a while since I've frogged an abandoned project, for example.   That said, I still think it's useful to take stock and see where I am once in a while, and February is just as good a time for that as any.

What are your plans for this February?  Have any big finishing in mind?

No comments: