Sunday, May 10, 2015

Two Socks Don't Make a Pair

My recent cast-on  explosion has led to a proliferation of socks on the go.  I have four different pairs that I'm actively working on, and a fifth pair that is in hibernation until I can handle the concept of pumpkins again.

The upside of having four pairs of socks handy and in different stages of completion is that I'm pretty much covered for all occasions.  My vanilla socks have gotten me through two viewings of Age of Ultron (don't get me wrong, I wasn't bored...but my hands were moving pretty much the whole time.  I don't have to look to knit stockinette in the round), and a two-day conference in Nashville.

Plus there's Carl's socks -- I'm turning the heel on the first sock, and it's every bit as exciting as knitting a big sock in browns sounds like it would be.  It wasn't a good candidate for movie or conference knitting because it's at a fiddly bit.    And of course there's my Monkeys, which are not a good candidate for auto-pilot knitting.

Anyway, socks for all occasions, yadda yadda.  The down side of course is that even though I'm doing a fair amount of sock knitting, I'm not netting much in the way of pairs of socks.

Yet.   I mean, this is a long game, obviously, and I'll have to wait a bit for the pay off.

I finished two socks yesterday.  I have a feeling that if I offered Morgan would be happy to take these two socks and call them a pair.

Best Thing about Spring and Early Summer is the Green Backdrop for Photos
The pink one on top is Lara Neel's "Fork in the Road" socks.  The bottom is a plain, top-down, heel flap sock.  I had a hankering for vanilla socks with fun and funky stripes, so I visited my local and grabbed some Jarbo Garn Mini Raggi (say that three times fast) in the "68103" colorway, and some  Lana Grossa Meilenweit Merino in "2152."   (As an aside, can I just go on the record and say that while I understand that using numbers for colorways in commercial yarns probably makes things easier for the manufacturer, they are evocative of exactly nothing.)

Two Heels, No Waiting
In other knitting news, I'm still working on my 3 Color Cashmere Cowl.  I haven't gotten as much done on it as I'd like, but I'm making some progress.


Between all the sock knitting (which, to be fair, was mostly done out of the house anyway), and the fact that I'm spending way more time exercising than I ever used to, I'm just not knitting as much as I'd like.   Turns out that an hour spent walking is an hour that is not spent knitting.   I'm already feeling more energetic, but I'm still waiting for that balance-payout where I'm getting enough energy out of exercising that I'm not half-dead by the time I finally sit down at the couch.

What's on your needles, hooks, and in your sewing machines these days?

No comments: