Thursday, January 20, 2011

One is the Loneliest Number

I finished up the first of my Winter Marigolds (I keep changing what I'm calling them) two nights ago, and then very cleverly cast on the next one last night.

The toe on the second sock went together better and easier than the first one did, so I'll call that progress. Let it be known, however, that it still looks of ass, and I'm hardly convinced. Further forays into the world of the toe-up sock will utilize different toe conception techniques, cuz this shit's for the birds.

I took the sock outside to get some pictures...



Oh, you didn't just want to see the cat? Here's the sock then...


3 comments:

Cindy said...

what kind of toe are you using? I personally don't care for the short row toes, but I like a couple others.

Unknown said...

I love the piddy-paw prints next to the sock. I think that's my FAVORITE part of the picture. Part of this learning process is learning the processes that don't appeal to you. And, of course, you won't know which ones you like and don't like unless you try them. It's like the white muscadine I got for Saturday. I had an expectation that it was going to be kinda "meh" or at the worst, practically syrup. Turns out I was really wrong and my preconceived notions were just crap I'd made up in my brain. Sometimes your ideas come out pretty close to correct, but "I don't think I like short-row toes" is different than "I don't like this short row toe that I tried." I approve of this process and of this sock.
And of another bottle of that white muscadine. Dang, that was good.

Bekah M said...

@Wintermoon -- yeah, it's a short row toe. I decided to use it because a) that's the toe that was in the pattern, and I am actively trying to broaden my horizons, and b) I had only ever done one short row toe before. I wasn't crazy about it then, but I've become a much more practiced knitter since then, so I figured it warranted a second look.

Turns out I still don't like 'em, but as Jess points out below, now I know that, and as G.I. Joe would have us be aware, Knowing is Half the Battle. (Shooting Cobra planes down out of the sky so it rains little soldiers in parachutes being, obviously, the other half.)

@Jess -- Yes. We are having more of that wine. Oh yes. Mr. Kitty likes to be all up in my camera business. It was all of thirty seconds from when I set the sock down on pristine snow to when I took that picture.