Sunday, January 02, 2011

Begin as You Mean to Go On

I got my daughter to help me select my sock kit for January-February yesterday afternoon. This was accomplished by me holding out the box and saying "Just grab one!" while she eyed both it and me suspiciously.

Once I'd dashed her hopes and informed her that no, the socks would most likely not be for her, the deed was done, and my course laid.

I'll be making Marigold (Ravelry link) out of a lovely couple of skeins of Jojoland Melody wool, in the descriptive (and intuitively lovely sounding) colorway of "MS08."

Part of what I'm after with this experiment (other than to justify the purchase of more sock yarn, of course) is to broaden my proverbial horizons and to utilize techniques that I'm usually just too darned lazy to bother with. I have a basic, cuff-down, vanilla sock recipe that lives in my head and that I can knit in my sleep. That way lies boredom and sock-driven ennui. Hence the kits and the patterns.

My very first sock out I'm doing a short-row toe-up sock pattern, and I'm suddenly reminded of why I always knit my socks the other direction. I suck at toe-up short-row socks. They look of un-mitigated ass. And they are a pain in my tuchus. And I'm not good at them (this bothers me to no end. The cure, one hopes, is practice.)

I soldiered on and am now a repeat-and-a-half into the lace pattern. All is well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, it seems you are slaying the metaphorical digital zombie. Becoming more skilled at the things you are not so skilled at is whatchacall an excellent way to bring more awesome into the world.

Anonymous said...

I wish you success at mastering the toe-up sock. I, too, suck at it and am too chicken to do anything about it until I finish a handful of cuff-down socks in my queue.

The beginning of this sock is lovely and I can't wait to see more of the lace pattern!

Bekah M said...

@Jess -- Current evidence seems to indicate that the metaphorical digital zombies are up a point. The struggle continues, however.

@BostonBlackSheep -- So far I'm entirely unconvinced by the short-row toe/heel. Toe-up socks, I like just fine, but this short-row business is for the birds!