Monday, August 18, 2008

Many Socks

I've been kicking sock-butts and takin' sock names.

Or something.


Mixed metaphors aside, I have made not inconsiderable progress on the sock knitting front. I've completed Nancy Bush's Child's French Socks, from Knitting Vintage Socks. Nancy Bush is my sock knitting hero -- so I'm pretty tickled that I've (finally) finished knitting one of her patterns. The pattern was written (or rather re-written) for size 1 needles, to fit a women's size 8 or 9. Since I am a size 9, but have rather large ankles than I'd like, I decided to size it up a bit by using a thicker sock yarn and size 2s. Long story slightly shorter: I knit them with Knitpicks Gloss in Woodland Sage, using 2s. It worked a treat, and the only other adjustment I needed to make was to knit fewer repeats of the pattern since my row gauge was also different.

Current Standings:

Swirlus Interuptus Socks: 100%
Child's French Socks: 100%
Eyelet Socks: 50%
Mnemosyne Socks: 55%
Anniversary Socks: 35%

I have just about completely decided that I am not going to finish the Eyelet socks. I just really don't like them enough. So -- this is not a "who do we kick off the island" kind of decision, made out of concern for what not to finish should I run out of time. Rather this is a "what was I thinking when I knit the first one? This looks like woolly arse!" kind of decision.

Therefore, with the Eyelet socks removed from consideration, that means that I have to knit approx. 2.5 socks in the next 6.5 days.

I guess I'd better get to it, eh?

2 comments:

Cindy said...

that child's french pattern is just gorgeous. I may see if I can borrow that book from you sometime because it sounds like there would be some fun socks to make from it. :)

Unknown said...

I think it was a good call to fling the eyelet sock. If it doesn't make you happy, it's not worth knitting. Yeah, I'm about done with knitting this particular sock. I'm kinda sick of looking at it and want something new and shiny please now. But the outcome is making me *very* happy and I'm kind of excited about giving them. Shh. Don't tell her.