Sunday, May 06, 2007

On Cotton Tanks

I'm about half of a row shy of completing the lace section of Soleil. I'm working four repeats instead of three, so that that the top will be a little longer. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll add more length into the waist shaping. Conceptually, that seems like a very straight-forward and obvious kind of adjustment to make. I'm still not entirely sure how to translate that into actual string though.

I feel that my skill as a knitter is continuing to expand, and learning how to be the boss of my knitting (as EZ would say) is an important step for me. One of my knitterly goals for 2007 is to learn more about design and pattern alteration.

Anyway, I'm enjoying knitting it so far. The Sinfonia is a pretty alright yarn, although its just enough splitty that you have to watch while you're knitting it, lest you look down and notice that three rows down you only PSSO'd half the yarn, and the other half is dangling there PiSSingOff. Cheeky yarn -- but soft! And the royal blue I'm working with is a beautiful color. I bet pictures would help, but I'm in bed (BLOGGING IN BED!) and can't be arsed to borrow the daughter's camera.

Speaking of cotton, I'm itchy to get my hands on some of Elann's Lara. The pictures are just that pretty. I think that it would be about perfect for Deborah Newton's "Josephine Top" (scroll down) in the new Interweave Knits. Its not quite a tank, but close. I'm thinking that this may be my treat for finishing up Soleil.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interweave Knits keeps trying to bring me in to their zombie army...I mean, readership. Yeah. Still wanna do soleil, but it's gotta wait. I haven't got enough RAM for anything new or more complex than moss stitch. Never did spin today, either.
Sinfonia is better than microspun. Just sayin'.
I rebuke thee, O acrylic daemons! ...after I finish this scarf. It's for a kid, 'kay?

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love Elann too. I'm drooling of the Lara Pinwheel Sweater. Actually, I think they used Lara to make that one too. I will have to take a look at the Josephine top.