Thursday, June 04, 2015

FO: Giraffe Neck Warmer

My 3 Color Cashmere Cowl is done, and I love it.


I bought the yarn this year at Stitches South, and cast it on the very next day.  I'd been scouting for yarn for this pattern for a while -- and had even gone so far as to buy some Knit Picks Capretta for it.  But the Capretta turned out muddy and subdued, and not at all the crisp, beautiful colors that I was looking for.  I wanted a blue with some POP, and I think I found it with this silk/cashmere blend.


Also, can I just say that there is very little about knitting with silk and cashmere that I do not love?  It just feels so decadent, so elegant.  And it has that raw-silk smell to it.  Divine.  My only complaint is a mild one -- the nature of the yarn led it to be splitty, and I found that the more I knit with it the more it unwound itself.  So there's that.  I don't know that I would buy this exact yarn again if I ran across it at a show or festival, but I'm not at all sorry that I tried it.  (More to come when I actually wet block the cowl.  That could potentially change my opinion in either direction, depending on how that goes.)

I had to get a little creative at the last minute, because I completely ran out of the tan-beige yarn.  So the lace is quite abbreviated and I subbed in the blue for the last two contrast stripes.

I aaalmost ripped the lace out, with the intention of re-doing it in the dark brown and then I'd have enough of the lighter color left for the final stripes, but in the end I decided to roll with it the way it was.

I think it works.

Project Notes

Pattern: 3 Color Cashmere Cowl by Joji Locatelli
Yarn: Artisinal Yarns SilkyB Cashmere, 3 skeins in Beige, Brown, and Blue
Total Yardage: 532 yds.  I used up all of the brown and beige, but I had nearly a third of the blue left
Needles:  US 7 (4.5 mm) 24" Hiya Hiya circulars
Size: Giraffe
Started: April 26, 2015
Completed: June 2, 2015

My Stash Dash total is 532 yds (as this is my first finished object.)  And yes, I updated my spreadsheet.

No comments: