Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Three Socks Enter, One Sock Leaves

I'm fully recovered from Seder.  So recovered in fact, that I let Sunday blow right past me (the day I've been trying to post my "weekly update" posts) because I was busy-busy.

I've started Couch to 5K again, with Jess, and I'm doing Barre with Koren (mind you by "with" I mean, contemporaneously, not colocationally).  I've also been sewing more, and knitting and crocheting, oh! and going out to meet friends after work, and...

It's Spring, baby.  The weather (or maybe just the weather in my brain) has changed.

The First of Many
On the sewing front, I've made a project bag for an on-line friend.   She won it for the "Mod's Choice" project in our February is For Finishing Frowdown (Ravelry forum link).   While early April is considerably after the end of February, I'd like to point out that with my track record on these things, she's lucky I'm not listing it as a UFO next February.  I'm just sayin'.


It's about 13" wide, and probably about the same deep.  Lined with white muslin, and I used grosgrain ribbon to create drawstrings and a casing.  If you'd ever used an Erin Lane bag, this is essentially a cheap knockoff.   I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Next up is a project bag for me, made out of one of my favorite old shirts.  The shirt is both way to big for me, and a little worse for wear.  I would be too sad to hand it over to Carl to use as a shop rag, so it will find new life as a project bag for me.  Or maybe two.  It really is a big shirt.


In knitting news, I've been fighting with two pairs of socks, and hopefully winning a battle with a third.  Remember the blue socks I flashed a pic of last post?  I ended up giving the other skein of that yarn to my good friend Bella.  I'd given her two for her 42nd birthday to make a Hitchhiker.  She wasn't going to have enough to make 42 teeth (and after all, that was the point), so I handed it over without a qualm.   Jess is probably going to end up with the 50g I have left, because she has tiny feet.

Then I cast on these:


They are Fork in the Road socks by Lara Neel.  And they don't fit.  I'm either going to rip them out (I'm actually farther than this pic implies) or see if it's just that I didn't knit the heel deep enough before I decreased or ... Erf.   I suspect I just didn't cast on enough stitches.  I used a 64 stitch cast on, and I think I would have done better with 68... if not 72.  Note to self:  If you aren't going to swatch new yarn, and no one says you have to... check the size earlier.

Carl's Big Dude Socks seem to be going okay at least.  ::knock wood::

Man Socks in the "Catfish" Stage of Development
I also worked on my Cosy Stripes and my Pink Hitchhiker since the last time I updated.  I'll share pictures of those next time.

And that's about all the news that's fit to print.  What are you getting done now that the weather is so much nicer?  Is it nicer where you are?  Discuss!


No comments: