Sunday, November 22, 2015

FO(s): A Coupla Cowls

There's been a flurry of knitting activity over here at chez woolly, but as I threatened earlier this month, I can only tell you about some of it.  I'm mixing a healthy dose of selfish knitting in with my gift knitting though so that I don't rage-quit forever and take up basket-weaving or tying knots for fly fishing or something.

I've finished the 3 (4) Color Cashmere Cowl out of Knit Picks Capretta earlier this week.  It hasn't been blocked yet, but the ends are all tucked in, and I'm calling it good.


The light has been all wrong to get really good pictures lately.  We are entering into the season of harsh light that is only available on weekends.  In another few weeks it'll be dark when I leave the house and dark when I get back home again during the work week.  So as far as I'm concerned that means there is no sun Monday through Friday in the winter.

Last year I solved for this by taking my finished objects into work and taking pictures there.  I've recently had to move out of my office, so that solution might not be available for me.  (And as I typed that I realized that the solution is to bundle up and go outside during my lunch break.  I can find a scenic spot to stage photographs somewhere near my building.)

Anyway, the cowl went together without a hitch, and this time I didn't run out of any of the colors before I was done, like I did with the other one.  Somewhere between using four colors instead of three, and purchasing a commercial yarn (rather than the indie cashmere/silk I got at Stitches) I had more than plenty.   I did manage to use up all but about a gram of the light gray, but I have leftovers of all the rest.  Perhaps I'll do some wristers to match the cowl.

Project Notes

Pattern: 3 Color Cashmere Cowl by Joji Locatelli
Yarn:  Knit Picks Capretta in Caviar, Platinum, Harbor and Turmeric
Total Yardage: 621
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Started: September 23, 2015
Completed: November 18, 2015

Once my second giraffe neck-warmer was finished, I decided I wanted to use some of the new yarn I picked up at SAFF (note to self:  what if you used some of the yarn you picked up LAST SAFF?)

I also wanted a quick fix kind of project.  Something you can just throw yourself into and then come up for air two days later with a finished object.   I knew I wanted to use the Twist Fiber Studio Vanderbilt Bulky I had in teal and a purple/pink variegated.  I don't normally knit with bulky, but something about these colors and the delightfully soft yarn base just called to me.  Also Koren was there chanting "BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT" so that might have been a factor.


I dug around on Ravelry looking for patterns, and ran across the Modish Cowl by Stephen West.     I made a couple of adjustments to allow for the fact that I only had about 160 yards, and BOOM!  This morning I finished weaving in the ends and sewing it closed.

Morgan was very sweet and modeled for me
This is one of those really great uses for garter stitch.  It's simple, pleasant, squooshy, and graphic.  I love it.


Over all I'm really happy with it, and could easily see knitting another variation (possibly long enough to wrap twice, out of a worsted weight?  The possibilities, they are endless.)

Project Notes

Pattern: inspired by the Modish Cowl by Stephen West
Yarn:  Twist Fiber Studio Vanderbilt Bulky in "Crystal Blue Persuasion" and "Roller Rink Disco Party"
Total Yardage: 164 yards
Needles:  US 11 (8.0 mm)
Started: November 20, 2015
Completed: November 22, 2015

A++ would knit again.

Now I just need to decide if I'm going back to working on Christmas Gifts or if I'm going to say "ta heck with it," and Grinch-along with the Knitmore Girls.  Stay tuned for further developments as they transpire.

No comments: