Friday, February 01, 2019

February is for Finishing, 2019 edition

If there's one thing that's been consistent in this highly inconsistent blog of mine, it's the annual project round up for February is for Finishing.

That's right, February is happening to us, whether we're ready for it or not, and that means it's time to dust off the WIPs and set about making a plan to finish.

When I started doing this back in 2006, the need was dire, and the list was long.  My most egregious case of rampant WIP-itis was exposed in 2011 when I brought a whopping 25 works in progress to the party.

Since then my relationship with my crafting has changed rather dramatically.  I - get this, this is crazy - finish things that I start.  Moreover, I don't start things if I don't want to finish them.  To cap it all off, I frog things immediately if I thought I wanted to finish them and then I find out I was wrong.  Who have I become?

While I still maintain that there is no moral high-ground to be won through project monogamy, I seem to have narrowed my focus somewhat in the last few years. 

It's weird, and I don't know what it means, other than: I'm getting a lot done, I like what I'm knitting, and February is for Finishing doesn't hold the same utility for me that it used to.

All that said, I like the annual airing of the WIP-pile, so let's get on with it, shall we?

Here's this year's list, in order from oldest to newest.  (Links go to the relevant Ravelry project page.)

1.   Hogwarts Studies Blanket, cast on May 16, 2016.   As I said in last year's project round up, I'm not too fussed about when this friend gets finished.  I'm using up bits and bobs of fingering weight, and turning in each individual square for points in the Harry Potter Knit and Crochet House Cup.  I'm either going for 12x18 squares, or 12x24 if I decide I want more blanket than that when I get there.  Right now I'm closing in on 100 squares completed, without repeating any yarns.


Let's pause right here for a moment, and appreciate the fact that once again, this is the only repeat contestant, and everything else on last year's list has been finished.

See?  I don't know who I am anymore.

2.  Weekender Blanket, started May 20, 2018.  This is another modular blanket that I'm in no especial hurry to finish.  I'm crocheting it with a yarn-pack from the Attic24 shop at Wool Warehouse.  This is the Cottage Pack.



3. Throughstone Cardigan, cast on January 1, 2019.  I'm knitting my first steeked, colorwork yoke cardigan.  So far I'm done one sleeve and maybe 3" of the body.  I decided to do the sleeve first in case my gauge swatch was a liar (spoiler alert:  my gauge swatch was a liar).  I'm knitting this as my Transfiguration OWL for the House Cup, so it's 'due' on March 31st.  I better hustle.


4. making spirits bright, cast on January 27, 2019.   I am following the lovely Amy Florence's lead, and making a bid for 25 pairs of holiday socks to wear in December.  My own personal sockvent, as it were.  I curently have 5 pair, knit at a rate of one per holiday season in the past five years.   As I would like to achieve my holiday sock plan before I'm 65, I decided to step up production a bit.



And.... and that's it.   That's all I've got, folks.  Four works in progress.

Well.  Four and a half.


I do what I want, Thor.

No comments: