Saturday, January 11, 2020

The State of the WIP-Basket

I thought I'd share what I'm currently working on, since it's been a while since I've talked about what I'm knitting with any kind of regularity.  This won't be a full accounting of the WIPs, as I have to save some content for February is for Finishing, after all.  I'll give you the full list in a couple of weeks. 

For today, let's look at my three newest cast-ons, two shawls and a pair of socks.  For a nicely balanced basket, I probably should have a sweater in the mix too, but my sweater mojo is on hiatus at the moment, so shawls it is.

Exploration Station

First up is Exploration Station by Stephen West. This was a mystery knit along way back when (I want to say 2014 maybe) but it didn't really get onto my radar as a thing I might want to knit until sometime last year when I was watching the back catalog of the Stranded Podcast on Youtube with Amy Florence (she's charming, if you don't watch her and you are a podcasty type person, you totally should).   I've been planning this knit for over six months, finally purchasing the final skeins of yarn for it last year at the SSK market.


I'm utterly charmed by how it's working up - even if Morgan did tell me it looked like a watermelon.  I don't know what kind of funky mutant watermelons she's been eating, but it most certainly does not.  Yarns are Dream in Color Jilly and Suburban Stitcher Single Sock.  The Suburban Stitcher is 100% merino and a single, so I'm not sure why the word "sock" is in the base name, lest it be to indicate that it's a fingering weight yarn. 

After I finish up the current wedge, it's time to transition into brioche.  I've got limited experience with brioche (I knit a hat once) but, as they say, it's just knitting.  I'm looking forward to it.

Odyssey Shawl

Next up is the Odyssey Shawl by Joji Locatelli.  I mentioned it briefly in my last post as one of my New Years Day cast-ons.  I'm knitting it out of Deep Dyed Yarns Still base (DK 100% merino), using US 9 needles.  I'm a little worried about gauge on this one, as I didn't fuss with a swatch.  Joji's gauge is 13 sts/4 in using US 8s.  I just went up one needle size and went for it.  There is a slight possibility that I am knitting a pocket handkerchief instead of the big, cozy shawl of my dreams.  We shall see if the blocking saves me, and if it doesn't, them's the brakes.

I'm a wee skosh farther along than I was on Friday.

no swatch we die like men

her song released the sudden spring: Tinuviel Socks

These socks are right exactly where I left them on Friday, as I've been working on other things.  My goal is to have the first one done by the 15th, so I reckon I'd best hustle.  More details can be found in my last post.


Those are my only proper knit WIPS.  I also have a few (*KOFF* FOUR *KOFF*) blankets in the works, but more on them later.

What with one thing and another, I haven't been posting regularly here at A Woolly Discipline.  That's something I'm hoping to change in 2020 (a naye yor, a naye leben and all that). I'm more consistently active on Instagram, if that's your jam, and can be found as kadollan.

No comments: