Sunday, September 08, 2019

FO: Year's End and Day's Beginnings

I've started the process of trying to wrangle my stash into a better form of organization.  I almost had a system in place about a year and a half ago, but I've been to two SSK's and several fiber festivals since then, and things are generally in a state of disarray.

I don't have any pictures of the process to share at the moment (imagine too much yarn spread across a laminate floor and you've pretty much got it).  I'll try to get some pics as I progress so I can share some more about the process.

The point of all of this is that as I was fluffing the stash, I ran across a gorgeous skein of handspun that a friend traded me for some project bags.   This is exactly why physically looking at your yarn now and again is so valuable.  I knew I had that skein, but when I actually saw it with my actual eyes (and more to the point, when I touched it with my actual hands) I fell instantly back in love.

I immediately abandoned the rest of the yarn and went to wind it up.  And maybe now I have a clearer understanding of why there's still yarn strewn all across my craft room, but that's neither here nor there.

I mean look at this yarn.  A jury of my peers would not convict.


This is a Merino/Bamboo 80/20 blend that I'd estimate at about a sport weight.  My friend reported 314 yards / 3.8 oz.  It is so soft and glorious, I was (and am!) entirely enchanted.

I knew I wanted a cowl, and I knew I wanted to use the entire skein.  I remembered a cowl pattern I used a couple of years ago to make a Christmas gift, so I went to look it up. 

This is Mira's Cowl by Baah Yarn - it's a series of knits and purls that makes a perfectly balanced and reversible cowl. 


As a project it was absolutely perfect. Quick, satisfying, simple enough to knit more or less on auto-pilot, but with yarn so delightful that it was a joy to slide through the hands.   A++ would go again.

The project name "year's end and day's beginnings" is a quote by Terri Guillemets.  I googled "quotes about fall" to find something evocative of the way I feel about this time of year. 

Project Notes

Pattern:  Mira's Cowl
Yarn: Fiber Artemis in the Grand Canyon colorway, spun by StardustSoul
Total Yardage: 314 yards
Needles: US 9 (5.5mm) 32" circulars
Started: September 1, 2019
Completed: September 7, 2019
Ravelry Project Page: here

No comments: